This article was published on January 31, 2022, and all the information in the article is correct as of this time. Before you book your trip, we highly recommend that you also check official sources for the most up-to-date travel requirements, as they are subject to constant change.
Can I enter Costa Rica?
Costa Rica is open for tourism to all countries. However, please be aware that several COVID-19 restrictions are in place now.
Please note that the first thing you have to do when traveling to Costa Rica is fill in a digital Health Pass. The next steps vary depending on your vaccination status.
Can I enter Costa Rica if I am vaccinated?
You can enter Costa Rica if you are fully vaccinated. You are considered fully vaccinated if you have received both doses of a double-dose vaccination or one dose of a single-dose vaccination at least 14 days before entering Costa Rica.
As of January 2022, seven vaccine drugs are approved in Costa Rica:
- Johnson & Johnson
- Sinovac (CoronaVac)
Travel documents if you are vaccinated
If you are fully vaccinated, you must attach your vaccination certificate to the Health Pass after registration before boarding a plane to Costa Rica.
Please make sure your vaccination certificate is in English or Spanish and has the following data:
- Name of the individual who received the vaccine
- Pharmaceutical site
- Date of each dose
The COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card will be accepted in Costa Rica if you travel from the US.
Can I enter Costa Rica if I am unvaccinated?
You can enter Costa Rica if you are unvaccinated. However, please note that local regulations are tighter for unvaccinated travelers.
Travel documents if you are unvaccinated
Unlike most countries, unvaccinated travelers don’t need to present a COVID-19 test to enter Costa Rica. However, they must purchase special health travel insurance and attach it to a Health Pass.
You can choose any insurance agency, but their service must contain the following requirements:
- Be valid during the entire stay in Costa Rica
- $50,000 for medical expenses, including COVID-19 infection
- $2,000 for lodging expenses in the event of COVID-19 quarantine
Who cannot enter Costa Rica?
As of January 2022, all visitors are welcome in Costa Rica, provided they have fulfilled the entry requirements mentioned above. Nevertheless, please remember that entry rules can change rapidly; check for changes on the official website right before your travel.
Can I leave Costa Rica?
There are no COVID-19 restrictions for leaving Costa Rica. Take your time to check the requirements concerning COVID-19 tests for vaccinated travelers of your destination country in advance.
Travel documents if I am vaccinated
- A certificate of full vaccination against COVID-19 in paper or electronic format
Travel documents if I am unvaccinated
- A certificate of recovery from COVID-19 (no more than 180 days old before the day of crossing the border of a particular country)
- A negative COVID-19 test result (the relevant period and kind of test may vary, please check the requirements of the destination country)
Traveling to “red” or “non-red” countries from Costa Rica
Presently, Costa Rica does not distinguish between “red” and “non-red” countries. However, the Ministry of Health urges people to avoid traveling for non-essential needs.
COVID-19 situation in Costa Rica currently
Most countries currently categorize Costa Rica as a “high risk” area. However, starting from January 2022, some tighter COVID-19 restrictions have made international travel safer.
Is it safe to travel to Costa Rica right now?
- Travel to Costa Rica is safe provided you follow local COVID-19 regulations. Starting from April 1, 2022, all establishments work at 100% capacity. However, the decision of letting unvaccinated visitors in is still up to the establishment. Thus, all businesses, sports, cultural and academic venues usually have signs on the door to point if they let unvaccinated visitors in.
Is San José open to travel?
- San José is open to travel. Please note that COVID-19 regulations in the capital are the same as in the rest of the country.
Do I have to quarantine if I go to Costa Rica?
- You are not obliged to undergo a mandatory quarantine upon arrival in Costa Rica.
How do I get a health pass to travel to Costa Rica?
- Before departing to Costa Rica, all foreign travelers must complete a Health Pass on the country’s official site. You will get a QR-code with certificates for vaccinated arrivals and health insurance for unvaccinated ones.
- Digital Health Pass of Republic of Costa Rica
- Costa Rica Entry Requirements During the COVID-19 Pandemic