This article was published on April 5, 2022, and all the information in the article is correct as of this time. Before you book your trip, we highly recommend that you also check official sources for the most up-to-date travel requirements, as they are subject to constant change.
Can I enter Malaysia?
Malaysia has reopened its borders for tourism to travelers from all over the world. Please note that from May 1, 2022, you do not have to comply with any of the previous travel programs; you only have to follow a number of COVID-19 restrictions that are still in place.
Travel documents if I am vaccinated
- A vaccination certificate
- A completed pre-departure form at MySejahtera app
From May 2022, the COVID-19 test is no longer required for fully vaccinated travelers.
Travelers aged 12 and below are exempt from vaccination requirements.
Travel documents if I am unvaccinated
- A negative RT-PCR or rapid antigen test result taken no more than 48 hours before departing or
- Proof of recovery from COVID-19 within the past six to 60 days
Travelers aged 12 and below are exempt from testing requirements.
Can I leave Malaysia?
You can leave Malaysia. However, traveling for non-essential purposes is still not recommended. Please ensure that you’ve checked the requirements of your destination country concerning COVID-19 tests and health declarations.
Travel documents if you are vaccinated
- A document confirming vaccination
Travel documents if you are unvaccinated
Unvaccinated travelers have to present the following documents:
- Documentation of recovery from COVID-19 and a negative COVID-19 test result
- Or a negative COVID-19 test result (the relevant period and kind of test may vary, please check the requirements of the destination country)
- And MyTravelPass approval
COVID-19 situation in Malaysia currently
As of February 2022, COVID-19 situation in Malaysia is relatively safe. Over 78% of the total population has been vaccinated.
Frequently asked questions
Is it safe to travel to Malaysia right now?
International travel to Malaysia is safe provided you follow the basic regulations:
- Avoid group gatherings
- Wear a mask indoors
Is Kuala Lumpur open for travel?
Kuala Lumpur is open for travel. Please abide by basic COVID-19 regulations that are the same as in the rest of the country.
Do I have to quarantine if I go to Malaysia?
As of May 2022, fully vaccinated and recovered from COVID-19 travelers are exempt from quarantine in Malaysia.
However, unvaccinated (and not recovered) travelers are obliged to:
- Take a rapid antigen test within 24 hours after arrival
- Self-isolate for five days
How do I get a health pass to travel to Malaysia?
Please scroll up to see the requirements for entering Malaysia. You will find the application to digitize your COVID-19 documents.
What are the biggest international airports in Malaysia?
Here is a list of the biggest international airports in Malaysia:
- Kuala Lumpur International airport (KUL)
- Kuching International airport (KCH)
- Kota Kinabalu International airport (BKI)
- Penang International airport (PEN)
- Miri airport (MYY)
Visit our Travel Restriction section at Kiwi.com Stories to read more travel restrictions articles