This article was published on January 17, 2022, and all the information in the article is correct as of this time. Before you book your trip, we highly recommend that you also check official sources for the most up-to-date travel requirements, as they are subject to constant change.
Can I enter Malta?
Presently, Malta is open to all countries provided travelers can present certain COVID-19 documents.
Can I enter Malta if I am vaccinated?
You can enter Malta if you are vaccinated. You are considered fully vaccinated at least 14 days after completing your vaccination course.
As of December 2021, five vaccines are approved in Malta:
- Oxford / AstraZeneca
- Janssen (Johnson & Johnson)
Children under the age of six are exempt from vaccination requirements
Travel documents if I am vaccinated
If you are fully vaccinated, please present a certificate confirming your vaccination status.
As of February 2022, the government of Malta recognizes the following certificates:
- Maltese Vaccination Certificate
- EU Digital COVID Certificate (including Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Cabo Verde, El Salvador, Faroe Islands, Georgia, Iceland, Israel, Lebanon, Liechtenstein, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, New Zealand, North Macedonia, Norway, Panama, San Marino, Serbia, Singapore, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Tunisia, Togo, Turkey, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, Uruguay and Vatican City)
- Albanian Digital COVID Certificate / Certifikate dixhitale shqiptare COVID
- Armenia Covid-19 Vaccination Certificate issued through the United Information System of Electronic Healthcare in the Republic of Armenia
- Australian Vaccine Certificate verified through the Medicare Express Plus App
- Republic of Azerbaijan Vaccination Card
- Kingdom of Bahrain Coronavirus (COVID-19) Vaccination Certificate
- Government of Bermuda Ministry of Health COVID-19 Vaccination Certificate
- Bosnia and Herzegovina Republika Srpska Certificate of Covid-19 Vaccination
- Bosnia and Herzegovina Covid-19 Vaccination Certificate
- Canada COVID-19 Provincial Immunization Records of the following provinces, as verified by the Verifly app: British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario, Québec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland & Labrador
- Official Chile Digital Vaccination Certificate
- Colombia MiVacuna COVID-19 Vaccination Certificate
- Doha, Qatar Ministry of Public Health COVID-19 Vaccination Certificate
- Dubai Health Authority Vaccination Certificate with a readable QR code
- Arab Republic of Egypt Vaccine Certificate
- Gibraltar, Jersey and Guernsey Vaccination Certificates
- Ghana Health Service Covid-19 Vaccination Card
- Government of India Final Certificate for Covid-19 Vaccination
- Iraq Covid-19 Vaccination Card issued by Kurdistan Regional Government
- Japan Vaccination Certificate of COVID-19 (verified using VeriFLY)
- The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan COVID-19 Vaccination Certification (verified with Sanad Jo app)
- Republic of Kosovo Ministry of Health Vaccination Card for COVID-19
- Kuwait Vaccination Certificate
- Lebanon Vaccination Certificate
- State of Libya National Center for Disease Control COVID-19 Vaccination Certificate
- Malaysian Covid-19 Digital Vaccination Certificate verified through MySehatara App
- The Republic of Maldives covidSafe COVID-19 Vaccine Certificate (using covidSafe app)
- Moldova Vaccination Certificate as issued by the Moldova Ministry of Health
- Government of Pakistan Immunization Certificate for Covid-19
- Sultanate of Oman Immunization Certificate for COVID-19
- Palestinian Ministry of Health Vaccination Certificate
- Republic of the Philippines International Certificate of Vaccination (with QR code)
- Republic of Rwanda Covid-19 Vaccination Certificate issued by Rwanda Biomedical Center (only on presentation of mobile phone number and respective code)
- Saudi Arabia Vaccination Certificate issued by sehhaty.sa
- Serbian Green Certificate with a readable QR code
- Singapore Vaccination Certificate
- South Korea Covid-19 Vaccination Certificate issued through the COOV app.
- Turkish Vaccination Certificate with a readable QR code
- Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus Vaccination Certificate
- UAE Al Hosn Vaccine Certificate
- United States CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card with an EMA-approved vaccine, verified digitally through the VeriFLY app
- United Kingdom Vaccination Certificates
As for UK Vaccination Certificates, they are divided into:
- England — NHS Covid Pass (Digital App and NHS Letter)
- Wales — NHS Covid Pass Letter
- Scotland — NHS Letter demonstrating COVID-19 vaccination status
- Northern Ireland: Interim proof of vaccination document
Can I enter Malta if I am unvaccinated?
You can enter Malta if you are unvaccinated.
Travel documents if I am unvaccinated
- A negative PCR test result taken no more than 72 hours or a rapid antigen test result no more than 24 hours before arrival or
- A recovery certificate no more than 180 days prior to travel
Children under the age of six are exempt from testing.
Traveling to Malta from “red” or “dark red” countries
Please note that as of May 2022, the lists of “red” or “dark red” have been removed. Travelers can equally travel to Malta given presenting the documents mentioned above.
Can I leave Malta?
Both vaccinated and unvaccinated travelers can leave Malta. Nevertheless, the Ministry of Health advises people to avoid traveling for non-essential reasons.
Travel documents if I am vaccinated
- To travel within the EU — the EU digital COVID certificate
- To travel outside the EU — a printed document confirming vaccination status
In addition, please check the necessity of a COVID-19 negative test presence in your destination country. Several countries, such as the US, demand tests anyway.
Travel documents if I am unvaccinated
- A certificate of recovery from COVID-19 (no more than 180 days old before the day of crossing the border of a particular country)
- A negative COVID-19 test result (the relevant period and kind of test may vary, please check the requirements of the destination country)
COVID-19 situation in Malta currently
As of December 2021, around 80.2% of the total Maltese population have been fully vaccinated. The COVID-19 situation in Malta is moderate now.
Is it safe to travel to Malta right now?
- International travel to Malta is safe now. Maltese covid-related restrictions are considered recommendations. Nevertheless, wearing masks indoors is obligatory.
Is Valletta open for travel now?
- Valletta is open for travel now. It is possible to visit the capital’s main attractions without strict restrictions.
Do I have to quarantine if I go to Malta?
- As of May 2022, travelers are exempt from quarantine in Malta if they correspond with the regulations mentioned above. However, if you fail to present one of the documents listed above, you will be obliged to undergo a mandatory quarantine for ten days. The quarantine can be completed earlier if you take a COVID-19 test on the seventh day and receive a negative result.
Children under the age of six are exempt from this measure.
How do I get a health pass to travel to Malta?
- Presently, Malta recognizes COVID-19 health passes of many foreign countries. Please scroll up to the “Travel documents if I am vaccinated” section to see if your digital certificate is valid. Travelers from outside these countries or unvaccinated travelers should carry their paper documents.