This article was published on January 24, 2022, and all the information in the article is correct as of this time. Before you book your trip, we highly recommend that you also check official sources for the most up-to-date travel requirements, as they are subject to constant change.
Can I enter Mexico?
You can enter Mexico. Unlike most countries, Mexico has not suspended flights even from high-risk areas.
Please note that from March 2022, travelers are no longer obliged to fill in a Health Declaration Form.
Can I enter Mexico if I am vaccinated?
Presently, vaccinated travelers can enter Mexico. Furthermore, travelers are not asked to present proof of vaccination as the restrictions were eased in November 2021.
Nevertheless, please note that COVID-19 travel requirements can change rapidly. Therefore, take your time to learn the general COVID-19 information for vaccinated travelers presented below.
Presently, there are ten vaccine drugs approved in Mexico:
- CIGB-66 (Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology)
- Pfizer / BioNTech
- Janssen (Johnson & Johnson)
- Oxford / AstraZeneca
- Sputnik V
- Bharat Biotech (Covaxin)
- Sinopharm (Beijing)
- Sinovac (CoronaVac)
Travel documents if you are fully vaccinated
As of January 2022, Mexico allows anyone to travel by air for business or leisure with no special COVID-19 documents. If entry requirements in Mexico change, all vaccinated travelers must present a full vaccination certificate against COVID-19 in paper or electronic format.
Can I enter Mexico if I am unvaccinated?
You can enter Mexico if you are unvaccinated.
Travel documents if you are unvaccinated
As of January 2022, there is no need to provide a negative PCR test for unvaccinated travelers.
However, requirements can change every day. Make sure to monitor the official state website to find out if you need a test or other documentation upon your arrival in Mexico.
Who cannot enter Mexico?
Nowadays, there are no covid-related restrictions on entering Mexico.
You will still need the necessary paperwork to enter the country, be it a passport, visa, or other documents required by Mexican law.
Can I leave Mexico?
There are no covid-restrictions for leaving Mexico.
Please note that despite Mexico’s relatively light regulations, there can be certain restrictions in your destination countries. For instance, unvaccinated travelers from the US do not have to present a COVID-19 test when entering Mexico. However, they must present a test when returning to the US.
Travel documents if you are vaccinated
Vaccinated travelers must have a document confirming vaccination. Please learn the requirements of a particular country in advance.
Travel documents if you are unvaccinated
Unvaccinated travelers have to present one of the following documents:
- Documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (it has to state that the visitor has been infected no later than six months before the day of crossing the border of a particular country)
- A negative COVID-19 test result (the relevant period and kind of test may vary, please check the requirements of the destination country)
COVID-19 situation in Mexico currently
Since December 30, 2021, all but four states of Mexico have been categorized as “green.” It means that the country is completely safe, and there are no additional restrictions in place.
Is it safe to travel to Mexico right now?
- Yes, it is safe to travel to Mexico currently. All states of Mexico are considered fully safe except for Baja California, Sonora, Chihuahua, and Aguascalientes. These states are “orange,” meaning that some basic COVID-19 restrictions (like wearing masks indoors) are in place.
Is Mexico City open for travel?
- International travel to Mexico City is possible now. The capital of Mexico is categorized as a “green” territory. You can visit all the beautiful sights without any restrictions.
Do I have to quarantine if I go to Mexico?
- As of January 2022, there are no obligations for self-isolation in Mexico, regardless of your vaccination status or origin.
How do I get a health pass to travel to Mexico?
- Before going to Mexico, all foreign travelers have to complete a COVID-19 health questionnaire on the official state website. You’ll get a QR-code that is considered your health pass while in Mexico.