Red Swedish house with wooden terrace — Shutterstock

COVID-19 travel restrictions: Sweden

Travel restrictions


By |

This article was published on March 21, 2022, and all the information in the article is correct as of this time. Before you book your trip, we highly recommend that you also check official sources for the most up-to-date travel requirements, as they are subject to constant change.

Can I enter Sweden?

Currently, Sweden is open for tourism to a limited number of countries. Take your time to learn the information presented below to determine if you can enter Sweden and what COVID-19 restrictions you have to follow.

Couple smiling on a photo — ShutterstockBe aware of the rules that the Swedish government has put in place — Shutterstock

Can I enter Sweden if I am vaccinated?

You can enter Sweden if you are vaccinated. You are considered fully vaccinated at least 14 days after receiving the last necessary dose.

As of January 2022, five vaccine drugs are approved in Sweden:

  • Pfizer / BioNTech 
  • Moderna / Spikevax 
  • AstraZeneca / Vaxzevria
  • Janssen / Johnson & Johnson 
  • Novavax 

Travel documents if you are vaccinated

If you are fully vaccinated, present one of the following documents:

  • For EU travelers — the EU Digital COVID Certificate
  • For travelers from exempt countries outside the EU — a certificate issued in these countries 

Can I enter Sweden if I am unvaccinated?

You can enter Sweden if you are unvaccinated. In this case, you must present the documents listed below. 

Travel documents if you are unvaccinated

If you are unvaccinated, please present one of the following:

  • Documentation of recovery from COVID-19 that is no more than 180 days old 
  • A negative PCR test result taken no more than 72 hours before arrival

Who cannot enter Sweden?

As of January 2022, Sweden is open for tourism to a limited number of countries. Travelers from outside EU/EEA countries are not permitted to enter Sweden for tourism (only for essential purposes).

Can I leave Sweden?

Currently, there are no tight restrictions on leaving Sweden. Both vaccinated and unvaccinated travelers can depart Sweden.

Travel documents if I am vaccinated

Vaccinated travelers must have one of the following documents to leave Sweden:

  • The EU digital COVID certificate (to travel within the EU) 
  • Another document confirming vaccination (to travel outside the EU)

In addition, please check the requirements concerning COVID-19 tests for vaccinated travelers of the destination country in advance. 

Travel documents if I am unvaccinated

If you are unvaccinated, please present one of the following documents:

  • A certificate of recovery from COVID-19 (no more than 180 days old before the day of crossing the border of a particular country)
  • A negative COVID-19 test result (the relevant period and kind of test may vary, please check the requirements of the destination country)

COVID-19 situation in Sweden currently

Presently, the COVID-19 situation in Sweden is moderate. Starting from January 21, 2022, the Swedish Government is lifting requirements due to the decreasing number of COVID-19 cases. 

People hurrying to catch a train — ShutterstockSweden welcomes international tourists, under certain conditions — Shutterstock


Is it safe to travel to Sweden right now?

Your trip to Sweden will be safe if you abide by the main COVID-19 regulations. Here are some of them:

  • Wearing masks indoors is mandatory
  • At least 10 square meters per person is required during public gatherings 
  • All venues close by 23:00

Is Stockholm open for travel?

Stockholm is open for travelers now. Nevertheless, please abide by all the nationwide COVID-19 restrictions while staying in the capital.

Do I have to quarantine if I go to Sweden?

At present, you do not have to undergo a mandatory quarantine if you follow all the requirements mentioned above.

How do I get a health pass to travel to Sweden?

For travelers from the EU countries, it is recommended to install the EU Digital COVID Certificate to digitize your vaccination (or recovery) status. Travelers from non-EU and EEA countries can carry their paper documents or digital passes from certain countries.

Useful link:

Visit our Travel Restriction section at Stories to read more travel restrictions articles

Related articles