This article has been written on the February 18, 2022 and contains accurate information. However, we highly recommend you check the latest travel requirements before you book a trip since covid regulations are constantly updating.
Can I enter Switzerland?
At present, Switzerland is open for tourism to a limited number of countries. Take your time to learn the information presented below to determine if you can enter Switzerland and what COVID-19 restrictions are in place now.
Please note that travelers no longer have to complete the Health Form before arrival in Switzerland.
Can I enter Switzerland if I am vaccinated?
You can enter Switzerland if you are vaccinated.
As of January 2022, the following vaccines are approved in Switzerland:
- Pfizer / BioNTech
- Moderna / Spikevax
- Sinovac (CoronaVac)
- AstraZeneca / Vaxzevria
- Janssen / Johnson & Johnson
Travel documents if you are vaccinated or recovered
- A vaccination or recovery certificate
Can I enter Switzerland if I am unvaccinated?
You can enter Switzerland if you are unvaccinated if you have the papers listed below. However, note that restrictions on entry to public places are very tight in Switzerland for unvaccinated arrivals.
Travel documents if you are unvaccinated
At present, unvaccinated (and not recovered) travelers can enter Switzerland if they are traveling from the countries that are not classified as high risk countries. Please, scroll to the “Who cannot enter Switzerland?” section.
Travel documents if you are unvaccinated
Presently, no tests or other COVID-19-related documents are required to enter Switzerland from non-risk countries.
Who cannot enter Switzerland?
Unvaccinated foreign travelers from “high-risk” countries are not permitted to enter Switzerland for tourism now.
As of April 2022, “high-risk” countries are all countries of the world except for those listed below.
- Czech Republic
The EU and smaller European countries and third countries:
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- San Marino
- Saudi Arabia
- South Korea
- United Arab Emirates
- Vatican / Holy See
Therefore, if you’re arriving from outside these countries, you can not enter Switzerland.
Can I leave Switzerland?
Currently, there are no tight restrictions on leaving Switzerland. Both vaccinated and unvaccinated travelers can travel from Switzerland.
Nevertheless, the Swiss Ministry of Health strongly advises not to travel to the following countries due to omicron infection:
- South Africa
Travel documents if I am vaccinated
Vaccinated travelers must have one of the following documents to leave Switzerland:
- The EU digital COVID certificate (to travel within the EU)
- Another document confirming vaccination (to travel outside the EU)
In addition, please check the requirements concerning COVID-19 tests for vaccinated travelers of the destination country in advance.
Travel documents if I am unvaccinated
If you are unvaccinated, please present one of the following documents:
- A certificate of recovery from COVID-19 (no more than 180 days old before the day of crossing the border of a particular country)
- A negative COVID-19 test result (the relevant period and kind of test may vary, please check the requirements of the destination country)
COVID-19 situation in Switzerland currently
As of April 2022, Switzerland has lifted several COVID-19 measures.
Is it safe to travel to Switzerland right now?
- Due to the advantageous situation, the authority of Switzerland has lifted many restrictions. For example:
- Wearing masks is not mandatory in the biplic transport anymore
- Visitors are not required to show any certificates in indoor public areas, such as restaurants, bars, cultural and sports facilities
- Public gathering is not limited
Is Bern open for travel?
- Bern is open for travelers now. Nevertheless, please follow all the nationwide covid restrictions while staying in the capital.
Do I have to be quarantined if I go to Switzerland?
- As of April 2022, travelers are not normally required to undergo quarantine of self-isolation. However, arrivals from certain countries can be asked to undergo quarantine or other health-related measures at the border. Please, consult the Federal Office of Public Health site to find out if you have to.
How do I get a health pass to travel to Switzerland?
- For travelers from the EU countries, it is recommended to install the EU Digital COVID Certificate to digitize your vaccination (or recovery) status. Travelers from outside the EU should carry their paper documents.