Famous American scientist has selected the Hawaiian stretch of sand as the top spot in his 29th annual listicle
While our experienced readers have a pretty clear image of what the most beautiful beach in the world is, there are experts that try to pick the best out of the best using the scientific method.
Stephen P. Leatherman — professor at Florida International University who goes by the nickname of Dr. Beach — has been selecting the annual Top 10 Beaches since 1991.
As an internationally known coastal scientist who has published 20 books and hundreds of scientific articles, Leatherman takes 50 criteria into account while evaluating the beaches. These include water and sand quality as well as safety and management.
“Kailua Beach Park is a beautiful white sand coral beach with generally small waves, making it great for swimming and kayaking. A very popular activity is to paddle a kayak to the nearby picturesque offshore islands; the larger one has a nice sandy beach,” Dr. Beach describes his choice.
“The beach has lifeguards on duty, free parking, bathrooms, beach showers, picnic tables, volleyball courts and kayak rentals among other amenities. It is only minutes away from the village of Kailua where there are good restaurants, or you can pick up plate lunches and drinks for the beach.”
The second place in this year’s ranking belongs to Ocracoke Lifeguarded Beach in North Carolina. The beach, also known as the Pearl of the Outer Banks, topped Leatherman’s ranking in 2007.
One of the most popular parks in the state of Florida — Grayton Beach State Park — has ranked the third in this year’s listicle.
Dr. Beach’s 10 top beaches in the United States for 2019
- Kailua Beach Park, Oahu, Hawaii
- Ocracoke Lifeguarded Beach, Outer Banks of North Carolina
- Grayton Beach State Park, Florida Panhandle
- Coopers Beach Southampton, New York
- Duke Kahanamoku Beach, Oahu, Hawaii
- Coast Guard Beach Cape Cod, Massachusetts
- Caladesi Island State Park, Dunedin/Clearwater, Florida
- Hapuna Beach State Park, Big Island, Hawaii
- Coronado Beach, San Diego, California
- Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, South Carolina