From mid-November until Christmas you can warm up with mulled wine and shop some last-minute gifts at Vienna’s beautiful Christmas markets
It’s the most wonderful time of the year, sang Andy Williams, and Vienna has got the hop on most of Central Europe with some of the best Christmas markets in the world.
The most famous one is the Wiener Christkindlmarkt in Rathausplatz, where tourists and Viennese alike stroll, peruse and shop.
The wooded park outside the Rathaus, or town hall, will once again be covered in fairy lights, oozing a festive glow in the gray month of November. Lovers and kids will be on the skating rinks.
Viennese Christmas markets opening dates
Vienna has more than 20 official Christmas markets to visit. Walking along the captivating Ringstrasse and you’ll pass the Weihnachtsmarkt in Maria-Theresien-Platz, Stephansplatz, and Karlsplatz, as well as some of the many small side markets.
Traditional Christmas Markets
- Vienna Christmas Dream on Rathausplatz: November 12 – December 26, 2021
- Christmas Village on Maria-Theresien-Platz: November 17 – December 26, 2021
- Old Viennese Christmas Market on Freyung: November 20 – December 23, 2021
- Christmas Market Schloss Schönbrunn: November 20 – December 26, 2021
- Christmas Market on Stephansplatz: November 12 – December 26, 2021
- Advent Treat at the Opera House: November 12 – December 31, 2021
- Winter Market on Riesenradplatz: November 20, 2021 – January 9, 2022
Alternative Christmas Markets
- Art Advent – Art & Crafts on Karlsplatz: November 19 – December 23, 2021
- Christmas Market on Spittelberg: November 12 – December 23, 2021
- Christmas Village on the University Campus: November 12 – December 23, 2021
Christmas markets all over Europe
Over the next few weeks, the markets in Prague, London, and Berlin will open. Every square and park – indeed any empty space – of cities, towns and villages will be packed with fairs full of stalls, rides and local mulled wine.