No-deal Brexit could affect validity of 3.5m British passports, while Disneyland launches 28-minute-long Star Wars ride, and student diverts easyJet flight to avoid seeing his parents
Travellers visiting the Indonesian island of Bali should soon count on an extra expense. The local administration has drafted a law that would introduce a $10 international tourist tax on every visitor.
According to Bali governor Wayan Koster, the renowned tropical destination has been weighing up getting extra funds to finance the protection and preservation of its environment and culture.
“This will give us better fiscal space to support the development of Bali,” Koster said at the Bali legislative council building.
According to the Bali Environment Agency, the island produces around 3,800 tonnes of plastic waste a year with only 60 per cent ending up in landfills.
The situation has become so unbearable for Bali that the council has already banned single-use items such as shopping bags, styrofoam or straws.
Koster said he was optimistic that the visitors would gladly pay the tax.
“Tourists will understand [the regulation]. They will be happy to pay it as it will be used to strengthen our environment and culture,” he said.
No-deal Brexit could affect 3.5m British passport holders
A large number of British passport holders might be prevented from entering the EU in case of a no-deal Brexit. According to Which?, more than 3.5 million people have passports with insufficient validity.
This week, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office warned British citizens that even passports with up to 15 months before they expire can be declined when travelling across European countries.
“If the UK leaves the European Union with no deal, the passport validity rules for travel to most countries in Europe will change from 29 March 2019,” the FCO said.
“Before booking travel, you should check that your passport will meet these new rules and find out whether you need to renew it.”
British Airways owner abandons bid for Norwegian
After a series of possible proposition scenarios revealed over recent months, it is now clear that International Airlines Group will not bid for Norwegian Air. IAG — the owner of British Airways, Iberia, Air Lingus, Vueling and LEVEL — has decided to abandon plans for any such action.
The group bought a stake in Norwegian in April last year with a view to making a full offer for the airline. It will now sell all of the shares it has in Norwegian.
A statement from IAG said: “International Airlines Group confirms that it does not intend to make an offer for Norwegian Air Shuttle ASA and that, in due course, it will be selling its 3.93 per cent shareholding in Norwegian.”
Following the recent announcement, shares in Norwegian dropped more than 26 per cent — reaching its lowest level since November 2012.
Bjørn Kise, chairman of the Norwegian board, said: “Norwegian’s plans and strategy remain unchanged.
“The company’s goal is to continue building a sustainable business to the benefit of its customers, employees and shareholders.”
Student forces easyJet flight to make U-turn to avoid seeing his parents
On Friday 18 January, a Rennes-based student made an anonymous call to report a bomb on board of the EZY4319 flight. The report was then proved to be false.
Apparently, parents of the 23-year-old were on board the flight. They were coming to Rennes to pay him a visit. The student decided to commit the desperate act only to avoid seeing them.
According to Airlive, the young man was placed in custody and will appear in court on 21 May. He is charged with “false news compromising the safety of an aircraft in flight” and faces €75,000 fine and imprisonment for up to five years.
Disneyland’s new Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge ride to be 28 minutes long
Star Wars fans have something huge to look forward to. Only a few months remain until Disneyland holds a grand opening of its new attraction — the Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance ride.
Unlike the majority of the park rides that make visitors spend time standing in a line for only a thirty-second thrill, the new Star Wars-themed attraction will last an unbelievable 28 minutes.
Creative executive of Disney Imagineering, Scott Trowbridge, has called the ride “the most epic attraction we’ve ever built” in the Disney Parks teaser video.
“This attraction invites you to be recruited to the Resistance and stand up against the First Order. And you even come face-to-face with Kylo Ren.
“You make it through that, you get back to the planet, you’ll be a hero of the Resistance and be celebrated throughout the land,” Trowbridge explained in the teaser.
However, the exact date of the opening remains unclear.